Rodborough Parish Church

History

The first reference to a “Chapel of ease” was found in a Tax Return dated 1378. At that time, Rodborough was in the Parish of Minchinhampton.

Tower

The Church Tower

The tower is the only remaining part of the earlier buildings, dating from approximately 1580. The tower is perpendicular style, of three stages, with battlements, pinnacles and diagonal buttresses.

In 1840, Rodborough became a parish in it’s own right, with Thomas Glascott being appointed the first Rector.  He had been the Curate since 1819.

Rebuilding of the Church commenced in 1841 and the Church re-opened for worship on June 7th, 1843.  The building works were carried out by Thomas Foster & Sons and included  four bay nort and south arcades and the Chancel arch.

Font

The Font

The font is of perpendicular style and dates from around 1842.

In 1895 F.S. Waller & F.W. Waller rebuilt the Chancel and etended the north and south aisles to flank it.  These extensions became the Vestry and the Organ Chamber.

The Lady Chapel was completed in 1939 by H.P. Burke Downing.

The clock was errected in 1887 to mark Queen Victoria’s Jubilee and the £130 required to erect it was raised through public subscriptions from the Parish.  In 1965, it was restored in memory of Harry Guest.

Pulpit

Church Pulpit

The pulpit has the inscription

the gift of Jasper Escourte, of Lightpill, Gent, Annon Dom, 1624

a solid structure that has stood the time of many a sermon.

Church Organ

Church Organ

The organ was dedicated on January 4th, 1911 and was constructed by Messrs Nicholson of Worcester. An electric blower was added in 1942 and the organ was restored and modernised in 1962.

The churchyard has many fine features and was extended in 1891. Early headstones (from the mid 17th Century) were made out of local Cotswold stone and hence most of the inscriptions from these have now worn away.

Mausoleum

The Apperley Mausoleum

The Apperly Mausoleum was probably the work of Morley Horder. It has bronze gates and fine carving in the stone. The swastika is an ancient symbol of prosperity and good fortune, found in many early civilisations and used by many Christian groups until it became a symbol of the Nazi party.
This mausoleum is probably unique in this county.